Tools for Genetic Genealogists
I have written a number of helpful tools for genetic genealogy and genealogy, including an Ahnentafel to Gedcom converter, see my tools page for more information.
I have heard good things about the all in one helper tool genome-mate but I have not yet tried it out: https://www.genomemate.org/
Here are some wonderful sites with many useful tools:
- GEDmatch – see my post on their admix and other tools plus this great post at the Legal Genealogist
- Genetic Genealogy Tools – Many many tools that will run on a PC
- DNAgedcom – which lets you download ALL your matches from 23andme or family tree DNA and also hosts:
A few tools from other sites that I have found useful:
- MedBetterDNA addon for ancestry
- DNApainter calculator (and more)
- David Pike’s tools for working with your raw DNA data (e.g. homozygous runs)
- Randy Majors custom google ancestor search tool
- Analyze your mtDNA haplogroup from James Lick
Some tools I have not used yet:
- GenomeMate – tutorials from Leah Larkin
- DNApainter chromosome painting – tutorials from Roberta Estes
- DNAmatch for the Ipad– I have not tried this yet but it looks extremely interesting
Plus the DNAadoption.com site has a methodology written up which explains how to use autosomal DNA to find family and they give online classes in that as well.9 Comments
Newbie here… I’ve tested at 23andme, FTDNA and finally Ancestry.com. I’ve uploaded my 23andme data into Gedmatch. I keep reading that you should upload ALL your test results into Gemmatch. Can you do that on one account or do you have to add a new account for each data set? And, if I will now have three different accounts won’t that skew results when people search, thinking they have 3 matches when it’s only me?
thank you for your help!
so with all the DNA test you took did they all say the same thing or did you feel like one of them was better than the other ?
I have a comparison of the DNA tests here:
Yes you can use one account which is the recommended approach
One thing you might consider is using a utility to create a version of your data which merges all of them and fixes any no calls
Then upload that instead of each one separately. In fact I will do that today myself!
Thank you !! That makes so much more since that creating multiple records.
I was trying to get my data from 23andMe to FTDNA. However, 23andMe only uses v4 and FTDNA only accepts V3. Is there any tool that converts V4 to V3?
James, I was told by Bennet Greenapn of ftDNA that the SNPs teated in V4 are just too different for an accurate conversion, too many are missing. That being said, check this site which has many similar tools http://www.y-str.org/p/tools-utilities.htmltools:
Trying to figure out how to upload info from Ancestry
Perhaps you are looking for this page http://blog.kittycooper.com/2015/09/please-upload-your-ancestry-raw-data-to-a-site-with-a-chromosome-browser/